Make organic positioning in search engines is a task of especially great intelligence. Not enough to walk “spilling” all over the link of your website hoping thereby to receive traffic. First, you should always point to as specific a group of people.
The first thing to consider is the importance and relevance of the site you choose to add your link. A site that has a PR (or Page Rank) of 3 points may be worth another 8 points if the first is focused on your topic (or niche) rather than the second.
Similarly, you can always try to include that keyword (or anchor text) that best describe your site when you add that link. Thus you will be indicating to search engines the content type you have on your website.
As for what NOT to do when you position your page here are some suggestions:
- Never post in your blog, an article found on another place-even-in a directory;
- Avoid using automatic multiple “pings” to your pages;
- Do not write just for search engines;
- Do not have a page where you have many outgoing links (example: Our Partners);
- Take care not to have duplicate pages on your site;
- Check that your site correctly so if you redirect www or http:// always on the same page;
- Do not use any part of your site “hidden text”, the practice to date is one of the most severely punished by search engines;
Applying these tips will surely will reduce the danger that your site be “banned” by search engines, and in turn get more qualified traffic to your site, thus achieving better organic search engine positioning.